This project is read-only.

KiGG4 Breaking changes Highlights

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Thought to highlight few of the breaking changes

• Replacing GUIDs with long identity IDs (Planning to maintain GUID column with name RowId). You can imagine the impact of this change :(
  • Using Entity Framework Code First approach. Currently using June 2011 CTP
  • No more Domain Object interfaces e.g. ICategory, IStory, IUser etc... All removed and start using the conceret POCO type directly.
  • Lots of API breaking changes. e.g. No more methods will reside on Domain Objects
  • Planning to stop using SQL Server Full Text search and use Lucene.Net as search engine.

Note: This thread is under edit. I might add more points in future when I remember something or do a breaking change in something

Sep 2, 2011 at 5:26 PM

This is great news!  One of the principles I would like you to keep in mid is a maintainability.

I would like to see a clean separation between data, models, services, and presentations with loose coupling. 

When we upgrade the data layer, we should not worry about changing the other layers (domain models, services, UI).

For example, if I want to use Massive or PetaPOCO approach instead of EF, I should be able to replace the data layer without impacting the rest of the application.

I also customized the presentation layer and added some additional services I need to Kigg3.  I hope that the proposed changes would not affect them.

I think that your effort will help thousands of developers around world.  Thanks again.

P.S.) I would like to see each change implemented step by step, releasing each incremental upgrade frequently. So that other developers can follow you along and provide you with timely inputs.

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:27 PM

huge work, Moses and you're doing so well

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Thank you. I'm actually having a huge changeset on local that I didn't submit yet. Trying to get things organized and sorted out first. And really MvcExtensions project is so cool I'm going to heavly depend on it. Also I'm introducing themes http://kazimanzurrashid.com/posts/asp-dot-net-mvc-theme-supported-razor-view-engine and I might blog about it to take opinions and ideas.

If any of you guys got ideas please let me know.

Also I'm moving all static texts to resources for better localization. I'm not going to work on bilingual support, but will definitly will support localization.

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:52 PM
Edited Oct 28, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Here is on the fly list of features:

• Themes
  • Localization
  • User Profile management (Display Name, about, website etc..)
  • Tag management (merging tags)
  • Story management (merging stories)
  • REST APIs/OData to provide facility to expose kigg data
  • Friends (not important at the moment)

If you got any ideas lets share! I'll collect them and put them in issue list and vote for them! what do you think

Nov 6, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Good,Want to see Kigg4 of the early!