This project is read-only.

An API to submit stories?

Jul 27, 2009 at 8:07 PM

I read kodefuguru post - http://www.kodefuguru.com/post/2009/07/14/Automating-KiGG-Publishing.aspx on how to automat the publishing process using a Windows client. Thank you, this was a great post! I wrote a WPF client based on this code and it works perfectly!

What I would like to do now is write a WPF client that could automate the submission of stories. This is not for DotNetShoutout but rather for a site I run. The idea is to consume RSS feeds for the blogs I trust and automatically submit the blog entries.

Has anyone else considered doing this?

Also any suggestions on the best way to proceed?

Thanks.

John Tarbox

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:07 PM

I've considered it but haven't gotten around to writing it yet. I'm trying to figure out the best way to detect Category and tags.

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:08 PM
Edited Jul 29, 2009 at 5:31 PM

I just worked up a test WPF app to submit a story and got it to work. It is based upon kodefuguru code referenced in the above blog post. (Life really gets easy one one can stand on the sholders of giants, a big thank you for that post.

If anyone wants to see my code I will be happy to share it, but is not elegant ;-)

Basically I did a POST to /Submit passing the foillowing parameters:
  url
  title
  category
  description
  tags

I UrlEncode() all of them before the submit.

The only "gotya" I found is that KiGG expects a UserAgent as part of the request and will reject the POST if it is not set (a proper error message is returned). I simply set request.UserAgent and everything worked fine.

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Cool, I'm glad you got it working? How are you handling category and tags? I'm writing a submission bot to handle videos from YouTube, but I haven't really figured out how to correspond blog entries to categories... maybe detect keywords and if one is not found have a default?

Jul 30, 2009 at 7:07 PM

How are you handling category and tags?

We I don't know of any good way to handle these :-( On our site (NewsPeeps.com) we don't use categories, just tags. The problem I have with categories is that they are too transitory. For example Silverlight is a category on DotNetShoutout, but didn't even exist untill a couple of years ago and who knows if it will be used in 5 years? (Speaking here of the name, not the technology).

For tags, I like how StackOverflow handles tags, any item (story, or in their case question) can have up to 5 tags and anyone with sufficent privilages (reputation) can edit the tags after the item is posted.

It would be great if there were a super easy way to changes the tags for a story after it is added to the site. Drag the tag onto the story and drop it perhaps?? Unfortunately I believe this is the only realistic way to get good tags since it is extremely difficult for a proigram to analyse the content of a web page and decide on the appropriate tags.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth ;-)

Jul 30, 2009 at 11:46 PM

Yea, user tags would be a cool feature.

I wrote up an article about automating submission. You've already figured it out for yourself, but you may be interested in what I did.

http://www.kodefuguru.com/post/2009/07/30/Automating-KiGG-Submission.aspx

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:08 AM

Hi Jonny:

Can send me your auto submission code? I just have a empty Kigg based website i am so eager to filling it up :). I am running a Chinese version, don't know if your bot app can grap chinese blog?

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Nice post kodefuguru! It would definitely be cool to get a PiGG project going ;-)

Meanwhile, I'd like to second codeyun's request... jonny, would you share your code?

Thanks.

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Can you share your code please?

Thanks!